Director, Account Service
MDRG TREND ANALYSIS: The Future of Healthcare
Consumers in healthcare have been evolving and shifting the way they think about health and wellness and the way they want to receive healthcare. The trends we are seeing will change the way we access medicine. Healthcare is becoming the center of new opportunities for brands and we take you into two healthcare trends you should keep a pulse on for your brand.
1. The End Of The General Hospital
THE HOME WILL BECOME THE CONSUMER’S HEALTH HUB
- The health-scape is reorienting from ‘clinic by default’ to domestic settings.
- Expect to see more medication digitally administered through wearables, leveraging telehealth services and smart home tech to monitor patients.
- The trend is not purely about convenience - there’s evidence that patients recover faster in their own homes.
“The global telehealth market grew by an explosive 135.5% during the pandemic (Fortune, 2021), and the long-term outlook sees advances in diagnostic, monitoring and therapeutic tech enabling consumers to be tested or treated more effectively in non-clinical settings.”
Source: 10 Wellness trends to watch in 2022, Stylus.
“THE HOSPITABLE HOSPITAL” WILL BECOME THE NORM FOR CLINIC VISITS
- Patient-centricity and soothing surroundings will become central principles for healthcare.
- Hospitals – along with medical centers, rehabilitation facilities and hospices – will nurture a holistic guest journey, with staff trained to provide emotional support alongside physical assistance.
- Purpose-designed spaces will complement every step of the journey, from customizable patient rooms to recovery-aiding communal gardens.
2. Healthcare spending will shift away from treatment to wellbeing and prevention.
TELEMEDICINE WILL SHIFT TO TELEWELLNESS, WITH THE METAVERSE PROVIDING HEALING THERAPIES
- For digitally reared generations, nimble technologies will shape mental and physical health.
- Virtual venues transport people to soothing zones, where they can meditate surrounded by holographic gardens, access therapy with a customizable chatbot, or play a therapeutic video game.
- VR is being harnessed to help patients manage chronic pain without drugs, like US app Curable and virtual reality program EaseVRx.
AGING, REIMAGINED – CONSUMERS WILL EXPECT TO LIVE TO 100, WITH PERSONALIZED MEDICAL INTERVENTIONS ENHANCING THE QUALITY OF THOSE YEARS LIVED
- With astute lifestyle interventions, young people in developed countries expect to thrive into their 90s.
- Orchestrated Genomes: A new era of genomics and genetic study will be ushered in by the success of mRNA vaccines for COVID-19.
Beyond these trends, we are continuing to see the retail and technology sectors changing the way care is accessed. We deep dive into what health systems are doing to keep pace and live into the consumer-centered world in our 2022 State of Healthcare Experience report coming out soon. To be sure you get the report when released, be sure to sign up here.
Submit a Comment